Last Updated August 2017
Information Collected About You
By registering for the Website, you agree to grant to Buyhear an unlimited license to utilize any content you post to the Website in any way it sees fit. Registration includes, but is not limited to photos and videos.
Protection of Information
Buyhear’s physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards meet or exceed federal standards regarding the protection of customer information. We also require contractors who work with Buyhear to adhere to strict privacy standards. However, no security system or system of transmitting data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we use commercially reasonable efforts to protect your Information, Buyhear cannot ensure the security of our services, the means by which information is transmitted, or any information provided to Buyhear and to any third-party through or in connection with the Website. Any information, including Personal Information, you provide is at your own risk.
Notice of Privacy Practices – HIPPA
Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended (HIPAA), this notice describes how health information may be used and disclosed and how you can access your protected health information. Please review this notice carefully.
Buyhear is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your protected health information (“PHI”). In conducting its business, Buyhear may create records regarding you and the services provided to you. Buyhear is required by law to maintain the confidentiality of PHI. Buyhear also is required by law to provide you with this notice of its legal duties and the privacy practices used to maintain your PHI.
The terms of this notice apply to all records containing your PHI that are created or retained by Buyhear. Buyhear reserves the right to revise or amend this Notice of Privacy Practices. Any revision to an amendment to this Notice will be effective for all records that Buyhear has created or maintained in the past, and for any of your PHI records created or maintained by Buyhear in the future. Buyhear will post a current copy of its Notice of Privacy Practices on the Website at all times, and you may request a copy of our most current Notice of Privacy Practices at any time.
If you have questions about this Notice of Privacy Practice, please contact Buyhear at Support@buyhear.com.
Buyhear may use your PHI in the following ways:
- Buyhear may use your PHI to accurately identify the hearing aid best suited for you. Those who work for Buyhear, including, but not limited to, technicians and assistants, may use or disclose your PHI to assist others in your treatment. Additionally, Buyhear may disclose your PHI to others who may assist in your care. Finally, Buyhear may also disclose your PHI to health care providers for purposes related to your care.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI to bill and collect payment for the services and items you may receive from us. For example, Buyhear may contact your health insurer to certify that you are eligible for benefits and we may provide your insurer with details regarding your treatment to determine if your insurer will cover your hearing aid. Buyhear may also use and disclose your PHI to obtain payment from third-parties that may be responsible for such costs. Also, Buyhear may use your PHI to bill you directly for services and product(s). Buyhear may also disclose your PHI to other health care providers and entities to assist in their billing and collection efforts.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI to operate its business. For example, your PHI may be used to evaluate the quality of care you received from Buyhear or to conduct cost-management and business planning activities. Buyhear may disclose your PHI to other health care providers and entities to assist in their health care operations.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI to inform you of potential hearing aid options or alternatives.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI to inform you of health-related benefits or services that may be of interest to you.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI when it is required to do so by state, federal and local law, rule, or regulation.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI under the following unique circumstances:
- Public Health Risks. Buyhear may disclose your PHI to public health authorities that are authorized by law to collect information for (i) reporting problems with products and devices; and/or (ii) notifying individuals if a product and/or device they may be using has been recalled.
- Health Oversight Activities. Buyhear may disclose your PHI to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law. Monitoring activities may include investigations, inspections, audits, surveys, licensure and disciplinary actions; civil, administrative and criminal procedures or actions; or other activities necessary for the government to monitor government programs, compliance with civil rights laws and the health care system in general.
- Lawsuits and Other, Similar Proceedings. Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI in response to a court, regulatory or administrative order, if you are involved in a lawsuit or other, similar proceeding. Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI in response to a discovery request, subpoena or other lawful processes by another party involved in the dispute, but only if Buyhear has made an effort to inform you of the request and to obtain an order protecting the information requested.
- Law Enforcement. Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI if requested by a law enforcement official (i) regarding a crime victim in certain situations if Buyhear is unable to obtain the person’s agreement; (ii) concerning a death believed to be the result of criminal conduct; (iii) in response to a warrant, summons, court order, subpoena or other, similar legal process; (iv) to identify and/or locate a suspect, material witness, fugitive or missing person; (v) in an emergency, to report a crime, including the location and/or victim(s) of the crime, or the description, identity or location of the perpetrator.
- Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI if you are or were a member of the U.S. or foreign military forces and if required by the appropriate authorities.
- Workers’ Compensation. Buyhear may use and disclose your PHI for workers’ compensation and other similar programs.
You have the following rights regarding the PHI maintained by Buyhear:
- Confidential Communications. You have the right to request that Buyhear communicates with you about your PHI in a particular manner or at a certain location. To request a type of confidential communication, you must make a written request to Buyhear specifying the requested method of contact, or the location where you wish to be contacted. Buyhear will accommodate reasonable requests; you do not need to give a reason for your request.
- Requesting Restrictions. You have the right to request a restriction in Buyhear’s use or disclosure of your PHI for treatment, payment or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that Buyhear restrict its disclosure of your PHI to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members and friends. Buyhear is not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies or when the information is necessary to treat you. To request a restriction in Buyhear’s use or disclosure of your PHI, you must make your request in writing to Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com). Your request must describe clearly and concisely (i) the information you want to be restricted; (ii) whether you are seeking to limit Buyhear’s business use, disclosure or both; and (iii) to whom you want the limits to apply.
- Inspection and Copies. You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of your PHI that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records. You must submit your request in writing to Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com) to inspect and obtain a copy of your PHI. Buyhear may charge a fee for the costs of copying, mailing, labor, and supplies associated with your request. Buyhear may deny your request to inspect and copy in certain limited circumstances; however, you may apply for a review of its denial. A licensed health care professional chosen by Buyhear will conduct reviews.
- You may ask Buyhear to amend your PHI if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and you may request an amendment for as long as the PHI is kept by or for Buyhear. To request an amendment, your request must be made in writing and submitted to Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com). You must provide the reason for your request for amendment. Buyhear may deny your request if you fail to submit your apply for and the reason supporting your application in writing. Buyhear may also deny your request if you ask to amend PHI that in its opinion is accurate and complete; not part of the PHI kept by or for its business; not part of the PHI which you would be permitted to inspect and copy; or not created by Buyhear, unless the individual or entity that created the PHI is not available to amend the information.
- Accounting Disclosures. All of Buyhear’s customers have the right to request an “accounting of disclosures.” An “accounting of disclosures” is a list of certain non-routine disclosures Buyhear has made of your PHI for purposes not related to treatment, payment or operations. Use of your PHI as part of the routine business practices of Buyhear is not required to be documented. For example, the billing department using your information to file your insurance claim. To obtain an accounting of disclosures, you must submit your request in writing to Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com). All requests for an accounting of disclosures must state a period, which may not be longer than six years from the date of disclosure and may not include dates before April 14, 2003. The first list you request within a 12 month period is free of charge, but Buyhear may charge you for additional lists within the same 12 month period. Buyhear will notify you of the costs involved with additional requests, and you may withdraw your request before you incur any costs.
- The right to a Paper Copy of this Notice. You are entitled to receive a paper copy of Buyhear’s Notice of Privacy Practices. You may request a paper copy at any time by contacting Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com).
- Right to File a Complaint. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. To submit a complaint with Buyhear, submit your complaint in writing to Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com).
- Right to Provide an Authorization for Other Uses and Disclosures. Buyhear will obtain your written authorization for uses and disclosures that are not identified by this Notice and otherwise permitted by law. Any authorization you provide to Buyhear regarding the use and disclosure of your PHI may be revoked at any time in writing. After you revoke your authorization, Buyhear will no longer use or disclose your PHI for the reasons described in the authorization.
If you have any questions regarding this Notice of Privacy Practices, please contact Buyhear Privacy (Support@buyhear.com).
Newsletters & Emails to You
At registration and at various times as you use the Website, you will be given the option of providing us with Personal Information to receive recurring informational/promotional content via email from Buyhear. When you sign up for our email newsletters on the Website or at any time, you can choose to opt out of receiving additional promotional newsletters from Buyhear or our Sponsors.
You can unsubscribe from a newsletter by:
- Following the directions included at the bottom of the bulletin.
- Logging in to the Website and unchecking the newsletters you no longer wish to receive.
Community, Health Communities, Blogs and Other Public Forums
The Web site features several community areas and other public forums where users with similar interests can share information and support one another or where users can post questions for experts to answer. We also offer online discussions moderated by healthcare experts. Our communities are open to the public and should not be considered private.
Any information, including personal information you share in any online community area including a chat room, or forum is by design open to the public and is not private. You should think carefully before posting any personal information in any public forum. What you post can be seen, disclosed to or collected by third parties and may be used by others in ways we cannot control or predict, including to contact you for unauthorized purposes. As with any public forum on any site, the information you post may also show up in third-party search engines.
If you mistakenly post personal information in these areas and would like it removed, you can send us an email to Support@buyhear.com to request that we remove it.
Even if you do not register with or provide any personal information to Buyhear, we collect non-personal information about your use of the Website. Non-personal information means information that we cannot use to identify or contact you. We may also acquire non-personal information about our users from external sources. While you may use some of the functionality of the Website without registration, many of the specific tools and services on the Website require that you register an account.
Cookies and Web Beacons
What Choices Do I Have?
Updating/Removing Your Information
How Information Collected About You Is Used
The company uses information collected by Buyhear about you to:
- administer your account,
- provide you with access to particular tools and services,
- respond to your inquiries you send to us and to send you administrative communications about the Website,
- obtain your feedback about the Website or our offerings,
- statistically, analyze user behavior and activity including how frequently areas of the site are visited and how many emails are received and opened, and
- conduct research and measurement activities, including those described below.
With Whom Do We Share Your Information?
Disclosures to Buyhear Operations and Maintenance Contractor
Disclosures to Third Party Web Sites
How Do We Secure and Retain Your Information?
We take reasonable security measures to protect the security of your information. Despite Buyhear’s efforts to protect your information, there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party may find a way around our security systems or that transmissions of your information over the internet may be intercepted.
We will retain your information as long as your account is active or needed to provide you services. At any time you can remove your information or instruct us to remove it. Buyhear will also retain your Information as necessary to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Contacting Buyhear About Your Information or Privacy
You can also contact Buyhear at:
Buyhear.com / 5550 Wild Rose Lane Suite 400, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266